Glyde Powder for Dogs Description
GLYDE® contains a unique combination of Glucosamine, Chondroitin and Eicostatetranoic Acid (ETA), which act together to provide essential cartilage building blocks and reduce joint inflammation.
The core problems of osteoarthritis (OA) are caused by a reduced anabolic activity (production of cartilage and synovial fluid) and an increase in catabolic activity (an increase in cartilage degradation). In both humans and dogs, studies have shown that there is benefit in taking oral supplements that promote joint health. GLYDE® contains a unique combination of three naturally occuring ingredients that assist in the treatment of OA:
- Green Lipped Mussel (ETA)
Glucosamine and Chondroitin are both required for the production of Glycosaminoglycans - the building blocks of Cartilage and Synovial (joint) Fluid.
- Glucosamine has been shown to stimulate the production of synovial fluid and cartilage by up to 50%
- Glucosamine is also a rate limiting substrate (important building block) in the production of cartilage and synovial fluid
- Chondroitin sulfate is a direct building block of cartilage
- Chondroitin also inhibits cartilage degradation by 59% by inhibiting metalloproteinases - enzymes which degrade cartilage - and also by absorbing free radicals that cause oxidative stress
- Chondroitin is also known to block formation of thrombi (micro blood clots) in the small blood vessels that supply nutrients and oxygen to the subchondral bone and cartilage
Oral administration of Glucosamine and Chondroitin found in GLYDE® may be beneficial in overcoming the core deficits of OA.
Green-Lipped Mussel (GLM)
GLYDE® has the added benefit of GLM, a unique source of a variety of nutrients that are beneficial for joint health and maintaining a healthy immune system. GLM contains a unique Omega-3 fatty acid (ETA) which has strong anti-inflammatory properties but without the risk of gastrointestinal side effects seen with NSAIDs. ETA selectively and safely inhibits the inflammatory process.
It is also thought that Omega-3’s have a beneficial effect on cartilage metabolism by reducing the breakdown of cartilage by destructive enzymes.
Directions for Use
GLYDE® is administered once daily with food. The powder should be sprinkled on or mixed in with your pet's food. For the first 4 to 6 weeks give one 5ml scoop per 10 kg (22lbs) bodyweight daily followed by half a scoop per 10 kg (22lbs) bodyweight thereafter as a maintenance dose.
- Dogs up to 10 kg (22 lbs) - Initial treatment 1 scoop per day - Maintenance - ½ scoop per day
- Dogs 11 to 20 kg (23-44 lbs) - Initial treatment 2 scoop per day - Maintenance - 1 scoop per day
- Dogs 21 to 30 kg (46-66 lbs) - Initial treatment 3 scoop per day - Maintenance - 1½ scoop per day
- Dogs 31 to 40 kg (68-88 lbs) - Initial treatment 4 scoop per day - Maintenance - 2 scoop per day
- Dogs 41 to 50 kg (90-110 lbs) - Initial treatment 5 scoop per day - Maintenance - 2½ scoop per day
A 360 gram tub would last a 20 kg (44 lbs) dog approxiamately 4 months on the maintenance dose.
The use of Gyde in pregnant animals is not recommended as safety in pregnant animals has not been established.
Possible Side Effects
The side effects of Glyde are rare at the recommended dosage.
Green Lipped Mussel Powder 253.3 mg/gr
Chondroitin Sulfate 95 mg/gr
Glucosamine Hydrochloride 190 mg/gr